Tuesday, January 03, 2012

The Seven Habits of Spectacularly Unsuccessful Executives

Eric Jackson
Eric Jackson's article for Forbes under this title is illuminating. I'm afraid it put me in mind of some CEO's I have worked with (and I hope there are enough of those over my long career in the business to keep the libel lawyers at bay!). More than anything I think the tendency - not just in CEOs of course - to attribute success simply to one's own genius / hard work / insight / inspiration, and all failures to the work of others, is the destructive habit I would pick over all others. When circumstances and good work conspire together to provide outstanding rewards, one does well to recognise that it is not simply one's own talent that has produced it. When CEOs and management boards believe all the success was down to them, their companies are in serious danger!

No comments:

Breakout sessions that ensure everyone in the meeting meets everyone else

Lockdown finds us doing more and more in online meetings, whether it's business, training, parties or families. It also finds us spendin...